Monday, April 17, 2017

Oreo Stacking Box-and-Whiskers

As a day-before-Spring Break activity, my math classes all did the Oreo Stacking activity, which I found here. Oh my goodness...this was one of the best activities we have done all year. Student buy-in was there, engagement was at an all-time high, AND they got to eat Oreos! The focus of this activity is on mean, median, and mode. When we got back from break, I wanted to find a way to extend this so we could use their data we had already found. I decided to have my students create box-and-whiskers based off the entire classes' data.  For their posters, I wanted them to make sure they had their data listed, the box-and-whisker plot created and labelled, and lastly, I wanted them to analyze their box-and-whisker plot to determine what it truly means in the sense of the Oreos. This was a knock-out project & I encourage you all to try the Oreo activity if you haven't already!

Once again, the Oreos weren't even there, but engagement was still extremely high because this data meant something to the students. This is so important and as I have progressed throughout the year I have realized just HOW important relevance really is in a classroom. Their math work turned out amazing & the posters they created look fantastic.

Do you want to do work you see no ownership or value in? Probably not. And even for the self-motivated, it's likely not going to be your best work. How can I create unrealistic situations for students that aren't important for them and still expect them to perform at the top? I've decided I can't. Let's stop giving students useless tasks and start creating experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Classroom Friendly Pencil Sharpener

Hi, guys! After my first year teaching, I had to bury seven...yes, seven...pencil sharpeners total. One of these was an electric sharpener...