Monday, April 17, 2017

What I Learned My First Year Teaching

As the school year is coming to a close, I can't believe that I have almost completed my first full year teaching. There have definitely been the downs, but overall this has been a great year and one of the biggest learning experiences of my life thus far. With my KTIP ending this week, it has left me feeling nostalgic and I've been reflecting on what I have learned along this journey. I decided to come up with a list of the things I have learned as I'm beginning to prepare for next year.


  • Start the year off stern. This was one of the hardest things I had to learn all year long. It was one of those things I had heard during student teaching and in my methods courses, but I didn't anticipate how hard it would be to actually do. I had to spend my entire second nine weeks reversing this and finally it's paying off. For future teachers, seriously listen when you hear this. It is worth it in the end no matter how mean you feel. 
  • Be prepared for your heart to be torn. These kids are tough. The stories you learn about their lives at home will break your heart, but will also motivate you in so many ways. Keep snacks in your desk. Listen when they need you. Be a little more patient when they refuse to follow your directions. Never forget you might be their biggest hero. Will they drive you nuts some days? Absolutely, but they will also fill your heart. 
  • Be prepared. I've always been a planner and it's finally paying off. The more you get prepared for the week ahead of you the less stress and long nights you will spend after you leave school. Get your week planned, make copies for the week on Monday morning, and the rest goes smoother. 
  • Build relationships. Kids need you to be more than just their teacher sometime. You have to be their advice giver, their mentor, and sometimes a parent. Talk to them about their interests. Ask questions about their life. Share with them a piece of yours. Once you get their trust, you can get them to climb mountains for you. 
  • Give yourself time to breathe. The first few months, school was all I breathed. As soon as I would get home, I would work more until I went to bed. This had me on the fast track to burn out real quick. Don't feel guilty about going home and not doing a thing. The stack of papers will still be there tomorrow. Students need a refreshed teacher more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Classroom Friendly Pencil Sharpener

Hi, guys! After my first year teaching, I had to bury seven...yes, seven...pencil sharpeners total. One of these was an electric sharpener...